The Galveston Art League on Postoffice presents three juried competitions per year, winter, spring, and fall. Winning entries at juried shows receive cash awards and ribbons. Entry fees are:
Members - $15 per work for first 2 entries, $5 for third
Non-members - $20 per work
The League has distinguished five categories of art, although some months additional categories may be added based on medium and/or technique of entering artists
1. Work on canvas or panel (oil and acrylic)
2. Work on paper (watercolor or acrylic used like watercolor)
4. 2-dimensional mixed media (collage, fiber, assemblage in 2-D)
5. 3-dimensional (sculpture, art dolls, assemblage, jewelry, pottery, porcelain, glass, wood, metal)
Monetary awards are given in each category for first and second places and one award for best of show.
Best of show $300
First place in each category $100
Second place in each category $50
Works accepted in GAL on Postoffice juried show cannot be entered into the GAL on 6th St juried show and vice versa.
Postoffice 2016 Calendar
• January – Lorraine Martin is the Featured Artist
• Dec. 28, 2015 – changeover for the January show
• Dec. 31 – January member show begins
• Jan. 2 Member Preview Party (note Sat., not Fri.)
• Jan. 9 – ArtWalk
• Jan. 25 – pickup art and bring in 3 more pieces for the February juried show
February – Juried Show (see prospectus for exact dates and times)
• Jan. 25 – deliver art for the Juried show
• Jan. 28 – February juried show begins
• January 30 – Opening reception and awards ceremony
• Feb. 29 – pickup art and bring in 3 more pieces for the March member’s show
March – Lindrel Thompson is the Featured Artist
• Feb. 29 – deliver art for the March show
• Mar 3 – March member show begins
• March 5 – ArtWalk
• No Member Preview Party in March because of ArtWalk
• Mar. 28 – pickup art and bring in 3 more pieces for the April show
April – David Wheeler is the Featured Artist
• Mar. 28 – deliver art for the April show
• Mar. 31 – April member show begins
• April 1 – Member Preview Party
• April 16 – ArtWalk
• April 25 – pick up art and bring in 3 more pieces for the May juried show
May – Juried Show
• April 25 – deliver art for the May juried show
• April 28 – April juried show begins
• April 30 – Opening reception and awards ceremony
• May 30 – pick up art and bring in 3 more pieces for the June member’s show
June – Gayle Pendergrass is the featured artist
• May 30 – deliver art for the June show
• June 4 – ArtWalk
• No Member Preview Party for June Member Show because of ArtWalk
• June 27 pickup art and bring in 3 more pieces for the July show
• June 27 – bring in art for July show
• June 30 – July member show begins
• July 1 – Member Preview Party
• July 16 – ArtWalk
• July 25 – pickup art and bring in 3 more pieces for the August show
• July 25 – Changeover for August Member Show
• July 28 – August Member Show begins
• Aug. 27 – ArtWalk
• Aug. 29 – pickup art and bring in 3 more pieces for the September juried show
September – Juried Show
• Aug. 29 – deliver art for the September juried show
• Sept. 3 – Opening reception and awards ceremony
• Sept. 26 – pick up art work
• Sept. 26 – deliver art for the October show
• Sept. 29 – October member show begins
• Sept. 30 – Member Preview Party
• Oct. 8 – ArtWalk
• Oct. 31 – pickup art and bring in 3 more pieces for the November show
• Oct. 31 – bring in featured art for the November show
• Nov. 3 – November member show begins
• Nov. 4 – Member Preview Party
• Nov. 26 – ArtWalk
• Nov. 30 – pickup art and bring in 3 more pieces for the December show
• Nov. 28 – bring in art for the December Show
• Dec. 1 – December member show begins
• Dec. 2 – Member Preview Party
• Dec. 26 – pickup art
Member and Juried shows have the same submission requirements.
Please see requirements for submission of items for hanging below.
Questions? Please call Sharon Jones, Exhibition Chairperson, 409-682-
Members can enter up to three works each month. Shows change on the last Monday of the month, with the opening that following Thursday. When a work sells, the member may bring a replacement for the remainder of the show without an additional charge. A detailed schedule of gallery shows can be found by visiting our Calendar or Call for Artists on the website. Fees for entering are based on membership status.
Volunteer Members. If you are a member who has volunteered a minimum of 6 hours during the previous 2 months exhibit space during regular member shows is $15 each for the first two pieces, $5 for a third piece.
Non-volunteer members. If you have not volunteered within the last 2 months for 6 hours, fees are $20 for each work for the first 2 pieces and $10 for the third.
Instructions for Acceptable Artwork
Framed works larger than 24” in any direction must use plexiglass.
Specifics for sizing your art:
Measure the horizontal and vertical size, if these 2 numbers are equal to or less than 70 inches, the art will occupy one space. Said another way, measure the entire circumference of your work, if that number is equal to or less than 140 inches, the art will occupy one space.
Measure the horizontal and vertical size, if these 2 numbers are greater than 70 inches, the art will occupy two spaces. Said another way, measure the entire circumference of your work, if that number is greater than 140 inches, the art will occupy two spaces.
Works cannot hang for more than 2 consecutive months, although any work may be re-entered, just not more than 2 consecutive months.
Framed art must be installation ready with mat, finished edges, cabled / wired frame (NO SAWTOOTH HANGERS OR HOOKS), glass or plexiglass, and hanging device in place where appropriate
Paintings without frames must use gallery-wrap canvas with finished edges and have cable wire on the back for hanging.
Two people must be able to easily carry or hang any work
NOTE: Works that do not meet these criteria will not be hung, even if inadvertently accepted into the show. If unable to make a scheduled pick up time, artists must arrange for someone to get the work and inform the gallery, or works become property of Galveston Art League.
Submitting Artwork for the Web Gallery.
If you would like to submit your own photo for our online gallery of work in the GAL, please submit your jpgs before the 10th of the month after changeover.
We are asking artists – who are able – to bring .jpg images of their work to changeover or to email them to Fontaine. For her email address call 832-474-2882.
Submitting your own photo will give us much better images than we currently have because images may need to be taken through glass.
If you are unable to do this, no problem, we will continue to photograph the show; however, note that colors may be off and there may be reflections in the glass.
Specs for .jpg images
If you are able to create .jpg images of your art and/or jewelry:
Put the image on a CD or flash/thumb drive and bring it to changeover
Title the IMAGE: Artistsfirstname Lastname Title of Work.jpg
(i.e., Fontaine Jacobs White Rose.jpg)
Label the CD or flash/thumb drive with the artist's name and phone #. CD's are non-returnable, and thumb drives will be returned to the GAL gallery after the online gallery is complete.
Images –Any sized artwork should work as long as it is named correctly. Call Fontaine Jacobs at 832-474-2882 if you need her email address or have questions on how to submit or rename your images.
Getting your images on the Web
Putting artwork on the web is a mufti-stepped process.
1. The art must be photographed and or labeled with the artist's name and title of the artwork
2. The hi resolution photos are loaded on Dropbox for publication purposes.
3. The low resolution photos are created and optimized for the web.
4. Lastly, the artwork needs to be put in a gallery and posted on the web.
It takes 4 volunteers as there are usually around 100 pieces of artwork!
The galleries, depending on the volunteers' schedule, are usually up between the 6th-8th of the month.
We try to get the galleries done as quickly as possible.
Thank you in advance for your patience, Fontaine 832-474-2882.
Members can enter up to three works each month. Shows change on the lastMonday of the month, with the opening that following Thursday. When a work sells, the member may bring a replacement for the remainder of the show without an additional charge.
Get a discount on your entry fees by volunteering just 6 hours every two months!
All Artists, including non-members are invited to enter the juried shows
Juried shows are not held during ArtWalk. Exact months above are subject to change depending on the ArtWalk schedule.
THIS WEBSITE IS BEST VIEWED IN INTERNET EXPLORER OR SAFARI •
COMMENTS ABOUT THE WEBSITE? CALL FONTAINE 832-474-2882
GAL on Postoffice: 2117A Postoffice Street, Galveston, TX 77550 | 409-621-1008 | GAL on 6th St: 611 6th St. N, Texas City, TX 77590 | 281-6786978
Hours for both the Postoffice and 6th St locations—Thursday-Sunday 12-6 pm
Content copyright 2016. Galveston Art League. All rights reserved.